Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: m|| versus m||s in nmap-service-probes

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:59:59 -0800

Hi Lionel,

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 11:19:31AM +0100 or thereabouts, Lionel Cons wrote:
If I understood correctly, the patterns used in nmap-service-probes
are matched using PCRE with no default option. This means that the dot
character does _not_ match any character but only "any character
except newline". If you want to match any character, you should use
the "s" option, like in

  match lexlmd m|^.\x08\0\0|s p/Lexmark language monitor/

However, many patterns that seem to match binary data do not use the
"s" option.

Yes, I agree that almost all of your match line suggestions
should have the s PCRE modifier however I think it might be
best to wait until after a stable release before making this
potentially tricky update.

For patterns that use .* on line based protocols, the s modifier
can potentially cause a lot more work for the PCRE engine so will
have to be done with care.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Doug