Nmap Development mailing list archives

Announce: Ruby library for scanning and parsing Nmap's XML

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 22:44:57 -0600

Hey everyone!

Before the Summer of Code started, I was working on this Ruby library[1]
for Nmap.  It was far from complete then, and I got busy with the SoC
and school immediately afterward.. but I've gotten really far with it
the past week!

One of the things that currently makes this better than the Perl
alternatives is that it's a lot more up-to-date.  Mine supports
Traceroute, NSE scripts and more that the others don't (yet, I suppose).

I don't know if anybody here knows Ruby, but if you do I'd love to get
your opinion on this.  I'm certainly no expert, as I only started
learning it earlier this year, and did nothing with it during the SoC.

All development is just taking place in the SVN repo[2].  Just check it
out (no username/password required) and read the little intro on the
site (go under Classes at the top and click Nmap::Parser) to get started.

You can make your script in the checked-out SVN directory and the
"require 'nmapparser'" should pick it up and run it just fine.

This is still considered alpha/beta as I'm the only one who's been
testing and looking at it.  Which also means this is the best time for
any suggestions :)

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn