Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Conditional Matches in nmap-service-probes

From: Lionel Cons <lionel.cons () cern ch>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:27:35 +0100

Fyodor writes:
Maybe it should work that way, but right now (as you can see) it
aborts if you try to include a replace with a non-existant string.
Treating that as an empty string might help some signatures, but also
removes this chance to catch errors.  So I don't know which way is
best.

Well, one can always use "(([A-Z]+ )?)" as a workaround. $1 will be
the empty string in case $2 does not match. However, I didn't like
complicating the regexp before asking.

So one could argue that the current behaviour is better as it may
catch errors while still being usable via the workaround above.

On another note, I'd try to avoid using replacements in p// anyway.
For example, that makes it impossible to tell from the signatures what
different programs are recognized.

This makes perfect sense but should IMHO be documented, probably in
http://insecure.org/nmap/vscan/vscan-fileformat.html (Table 1) or
http://insecure.org/nmap/vscan/vscan-community.html.

Cheers,

Lionel