Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE script for OS identification / clarification using Netbios/SMB

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:50:11 -0800

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 04:25:50AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:

For the short term I don't think anything needs to happen.  In the not too
long term though, more generic NetBIOS packet constructing and parsing
functions should be made and the nbstat functionality should be rolled into
osversion.  We could call the union of these two netbiosinfo.nse or
something like that.  I'm perfectly happy to do what I can to this end in
the coming days/weeks.

Sure!  I'd love to see an NSE SMB/NetBIOS library in Nmap.

In the long term, setting aside political, technical or licensing issues, we
should look at Metasploit and Nessus's NetBIOS/SMB libraries to see if we
can either port or reproduce them.

There are definitely plenty of political, technical, and licensing
issues there.  But they are absolutely worth looking at for insight.

If we do end up getting a library of NetBIOS and SMB functions written the
floodgates to cool Windows scripts will be wide open.

I agree.

Cheers,
-F