Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.22SOC7 Released

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 02:42:19 -0700

Hi everyone!  I'm pleased to release Nmap 4.22SOC7 with all the
changes we have made in the last month and a half.  We're getting
closer and closer to a big stable release.  And its about damn time,
since we haven't actually made a stable release this year, and we're
running out of months :).

It has many important changes, but first let me show you a promising
trend of 4.22SOC7:

-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 7109087 Aug 17 15:59 nmap-4.22SOC4.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 7102810 Aug 18 15:10 nmap-4.22SOC5.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 4896587 Aug 29 02:13 nmap-4.22SOC6.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 4324612 Oct 11 02:26 nmap-4.22SOC7.tar.bz2

Look at those sizes!  That is three releases in a row that have gotten
SMALLER than the previous one, while we pack in MORE features and bug
fixes.  I hope to continue that trend for the next few releases.
After all, we're still pretty bloated compared to this March release:

-rw-r--r-- 1 fyodor fyodor 2338841 Mar 20  2007 nmap-4.21ALPHA4.tar.bz2

Anyway, please give SOC7 some good testing and let us know on the
mailing list if you find any problems.

Here are the goods in the usual formats:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC7.tar.bz2
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC7-setup.exe
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC7-win32.zip
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC7-1.src.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC7-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.22SOC7-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC7-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.22SOC7-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC7.tgz

And here are the changes since 4.22SOC6:

o Integrated all of your OS detection new fingerprint submissions and
  correction reports.  The grew more DB more than 18% to 825
  fingerprints.  Keep those submissions coming!  [David]

o Made a number of significant improvements to host discovery
  algorithms for better performance and reliability. [David]

o Fixed a bug which prevented the first OS detection guess from being
  included in XML output.  This only applies when no exact matches
  were found.  Thanks to Martyn Tovey of Netcraft for reporting the
  problem and helping to track it down in the code.

o Improve the script scan scheduling system to prevent the system from
  running out of sockets by executing too many scripts concurrently
  during large scans.  Thanks to Brandon Enright for finding the bug
  and Stoiko for fixing it.

o Added nmap.verbosity() and nmap.debugging() functions for scripts to
  determine the Nmap verbosity/debugging level. [Kris]

o Fixed a crash (assertion error) which occured when the first hop of
  the first system (reference trace) times out. [Eddie]

o UMIT no longer rewrites a bunch of script files to replace variables
  such as VERSION and REVISION in the SVN working directory. [David,
  Adriano]

o UMIT icon loading code simplified and made platform
  independent. [David]

o Removed PIL dependency from UMIT package generation system.  We now
  use GTK to put the version number in the splash screen. [Adriano]

o UMIT no longer crashes just because documentation files are
  missing. [Adriano]

o Removed unnecessary recent_scans.txt and target_list.txt files from
  UMIT. Some unnecessary copies of Nmap data files were removed as
  well. [David, Adriano]

o Updated the *.dmp preprocessed Nmap data files used by UMIT, and
  also updated the scripts used to create them. [David]

o Winpcap installer was updated so that on Windows Vista it uses a
  different Packet.dll and omits WanPacket.dll. [Eddie]

o Unix installation now places NSELib dynamic libraries in 'libexec'
  rather than 'share' directories, since they are architecture
  dependent.  Thanks to Christoph J. Thompson for the patch.

o Fix bug related to users providing custom libpcre location to
  configure (reported by Daniel Johnson, fixed by Stoiko).  A patch
  from Marek Majkowski which caps the number of sockets opened by NSE
  scripts was also applied.

o The UMIT version number is automatically updated to be the same as
  the Nmap version number rather than always being 0.9.4. [David]

o UMIT now sorts port numbers numerically rather than alphabetically
  [Adriano]

o Three UMIT data files (options.xml, profile_editor.xml, and
  wizard.xml) are installed in the shared UMIT data dir
  (e.g. /usr/share/umit/misc) rather than in every user's ~/.umit
  directory. [David]

o Added HTTPtrace demo NSE script by Kris, who also updated his
  HTTPpasswd script.

o A bunch of capitalization/spelling canonicalization changes were
  made to Nmap output. For example: ftp to FTP and idlescan to
  idle scan.

o Made some improvements to the nmap.xsl stylesheet for converting
  Nmap XML results to HTML reports.  It now does a better job at
  removing empty sections and headers. Thanks to Henrik Lund Kramshoej
  for the patch.

o Updated nmap-mac-prefixes with the latest IEEE data.

o Disabled auto-generation of libpcre/pcre_chartables.c because that
  was useless for our purposes and could also cause some version
  control related problems. [David]

o Updated IANA assignment IP list for random IP (-iR)
  generation. [Kris]

Enjoy,
Fyodor