Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap vs multiple IP address on one NIC

From: 'David Fifield' <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:51:13 -0700

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:29:42AM -0700, 'David Fifield' wrote:
On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 07:16:26AM -0000, Rob Nicholls wrote:
But perhaps it solves the problem that GV has mentioned (and I suspect is a
separate problem to mine). It does, however, appear to change --iflist quite
a lot as it no longer shows any interfaces that are down (e.g. my Broadcom
gigabit Ethernet adapter that's enabled but doesn't currently have a network
cable plugged into it):

David, was that intentional? All previous versions of nmap that I can
remember have listed the down interfaces too.

No, that wasn't intentional. I misunderstood part of the previous code.
But it might have been in error anyway:

Anyway, the attached patch will hopefully fix the interface alias
issue and report interfaces with --iflist in the same way as before,
i.e., showing down interfaces. I also attached a cumulative patch so
you can see how this patch differs from the last one.

I committed the patch so please try Subversion or the next release to
see if this problem is fixed for you. You may have to use the -S (spoof
source address) option to make Nmap use the right interface alias.

David Fifield