Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.23RC1 released

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:05:02 -0700

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 12:36:45PM -0800, Fyodor wrote:
On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 04:07:28PM +0100, Patrick Derwael wrote:

Apparently, the installation of zenmap 4.23RC1 requires the exact Python
version to be exactly 2.4
I'm running Python 2.5, and installation fails with
"/usr/bin/python2.4 is needed by zenmap-4.23RC1-1.noarch"

Any clue anyone how to pass this by ??

Hi Patrick.  We were hoping that people with Python 2.5 would
generally also have 2.4 for compatability reasons.  Apparently that
isn't always the case.  What distribution are you running?  We could
make a separate Python 2.5 RPM, but it would be nice to find a
solution which avoids that.  After all, I'm still celebrating us not
having to have x86 and x86_64 versions like we did with NmapFE.  I
think the only difference is that this needs to be installed in the
Python 2.5 module directory rather than 2.4.

Does anyone know a good way to handle this in RPMs?  We would be
interested in seeing RPMs for Python scripts which handle both
versions without requiring separate rpms?

One idea I had is just to install all the modules into both
/usr/lib/python2.4 and /usr/lib/python2.5, having duplicate files in
both directories. It's inelegant and only handles two different Python
versions.

I notice that Debian uses a package called python-central to handle
version-insensitive installation of Python modules:

http://packages.debian.org/etch/python-central

David Fifield