Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ready to retire NmapFE?

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:13:01 -0600

On 10/28/07, Fyodor <> wrote:
Hi everyone.  I hope you have noticed the many improvements we have
been making with Zenmap/Umit over the last few months.  Since
maintaining two frontends is a pain (and bloats the Nmap
distributions), I'd like to remove NmapFE and support only Zenmap.  If
you haven't tried Zenmap yet, please download 4.22SOC8, give it a
whirl, and let us know what you think.

Is there anyone who prefers NmapFE to Zenmap or otherwise doesn't
think we should replace NmapFE (or not yet)?

This is the last call!  If I don't hear from any NmapFE lovers in the
next few days, NmapFE probably won't be in the next release.

Cheers,
-F

Would it be too difficult to pull the NmapFE code out and make it
available as source to anyone who would like to continue using it?

I realize it would quickly develop incompatibilities as its
advancement was left behind.  But, pulling it out like that would
allow someone to take it over if they wished and keep it up-to-date.

-Jason