Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap.xml to docbook xml to {pdf,rtf,html,...}

From: Henrik Lund Kramshøj <hlk () kramse dk>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:41:05 +0200

Hi There

I use nmap a lot, and have done for several years now.
While nmap and other tools are really great there is a
long way to go from output to something the PHBs understand.

Which is why I have messed around with the nmap.xsl
stylesheet, which can produce great HTML output for
screen and print.

I have made a docbook xml output from that, by doing
the equivalent of search and replace
s/HTML-tags/DB-XML-tags/g. This XSL is available
from the project described below along with a few
small utility scripts to get people started.

Further I have opened a project on sf.net called
VikingScan which aims to be able to become a complete
administration system for running portscans and
getting nice reports.
(actually just collecting my bits from all-over into
one structure for others to use)

Currently in phase one the goal is for people to be able to
run a lot of nmap portscan and put the files (in XML)
into some directories and then generate report in PDF/RTF
- RTF thought to be further edited in word processor.

So by doing subversion checkout of the VikingScan files
from SF you should be able to generate a simple pentest
report from a lot of raw output.

Howto get the sources
You need to use Subversion and checkout from SourceForge.net
Normal commandline usage is:
svn co https://vikingscan.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vikingscan/
trunk/vikingscan

The directory vikingscan/template/report includes a preprocessed
pentest-report-sample.pdf to show the current version
- and yes I know it is not nearly a full pentest report yet :-)

Warning: some tools are needed for DB-XML processing
and also paths to files are important, expect some
problems - but feel free to comment, flame and ask
questions.

Main site currently is:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vikingscan
but I really should make a simple webpage RSN.

Best regards

Henrik
--
Henrik Lund Kramshøj, Follower of the Great Way of Unix
hlk () security6 net, +45 2026 6000 cand.scient CISSP CEH