Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Scans via Socks Proxy? (OSX)

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:44:23 -0500

On 9/6/07,  wrote:
I'd like to run my nmap scan through a Socks proxy on localhost (ssh tunnel).

Is this possible?

If not are there any other useful ways to scan via a proxy server?

Thanks!

I have some completely untested suggestions.

If you can run it on a Windows system, there are two commercial apps
that I know of that proxy connections based on the process name.  I
have had success getting things that are hard to proxy otherwise (like
Microsoft remote desktop for example).

I've used a product from Hummingbird called Hummingbird SOCKS
(http://connectivity.hummingbird.com/products/nc/socks/faq.html) and a
product from Blue Coat that they got when they bought Permeo called
Premium Agent.

I don't have a good link for the Premium Agent software.  I got it
directly from my Blue Coat sales rep.

For *nix systems, I've got nothing.

I also haven't tested nmap through one of the SOCKSifying tools I've
used but it sounds like a neat idea.  Maybe I will get a chance to
test it out.

-Jason