Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Need help with Nmap.

From: Jess <jess () thecharbneaus com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:18:19 -0500

Hi,
What is the command you are using?  Can you ping the host?  Can you telnet to
any of the ports?  What type of connection do you have?  DSL, Cable, Dialup?
What is the specific error you get?  Have you tried doing a "nmap -P0 host" to
force it to scan anyway? Does your friends machine respond to pings?  What about
their firewall?  Anyone on the list can help, but there really isn't enough
information to draw an informed conclusion.  Can you provide more information?
I have never had to do anything special to scan public vs private networks, so
just doing an `nmap -sT -v .... ip_addr` should work fine, but there
could be mitigating reasons why it isn't working as you expect.

Thanks,
Jess