Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: infinite loop error of nmap versions > 4.20

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:08:30 -0500

On 8/21/07, edward.henke#basf-it-services.com  wrote:

Hello,

about 5 weeks ago i checked NMAP 4.22RC0 with parameters given below and
made following notes:

i checked the new nmap version 4.22RC and got an error such that
after about 20 seconds CPU util. raised to 100%, no nmap-traffic was
generated and nmap loops infinitely.
I used this nmap line: nmap -sP 10.82.2,3,5,7,11.31-254
(some address segments within our intranet)

the newest release 4.22S0C5 also shows the same effect.
after a short time (> 20s) : 100% CPU utilization with no network traffic
generated by NMAP

kind regards
Edward Henke

I cannot reproduce this problem.

I picked some random subnets that probably exist on my network and did
the same scan you did with 4.22SOC5 on a Debian GNU/Linux system and
4.21APLHA4 on a Windows XP system.  It worked just fine in both cases.

For more insight into what is really happening, check these
command-line options:
-v: Increase verbosity level (use twice for more effect)
-d[level]: Set or increase debugging level (Up to 9 is meaningful)
--packet-trace: Show all packets sent and received

and see if you get anything that provides any sort of insight.  You
can use them all at once and get tons of info.

-Jason

--
NOTICE:  This email is being sent in clear-text across the public
Internet.  Therefore, any attempts to include unenforceable legalese