Nmap Development mailing list archives

Build Guide for Windows

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:37:40 -0500

Hey everyone!

I've recently integrated UMIT, the Nmap GUI, into the Windows build/install system. It optionally installs it, and if it does, then it gives you the option of Desktop and/or Start Menu Icons (shortcuts). Building UMIT, and in turn the installer, requires some dependencies. So, even if you aren't making an Nmap Installer (which you probably won't be), you'll still need these dependencies to build UMIT on Windows.

If anybody wants to checkout the soc07 branch from SVN and give the builder a try, that'd be great! You can email me (or nmap-dev of course) if you have any problems with it. It's worked for Fyodor and I, so *hopefully* you won't have any problems.

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn
                   Building the Nmap Installer for Windows
                   =======================================

I. UMIT BUILD DEPENDENCIES

I've listed the build dependencies for UMIT, the versions I am using, and
where to get them:

GTK (2.10.11) - http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net
Python (2.5.1) - http://www.python.org/download
PyGTK (2.10.4) - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/pygtk
PyCairo (1.2.6) - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/pycairo
PyGObject (2.12.3) - http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/pygobject
Py2exe (0.6.6) - http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/py2exe
Psyco (1.5.2) - http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/psyco

Using Python 2.4: PyGObject isn't required, but PySQLite is.  You also need
to look at section IV below.

PySQLite - http://initd.org/tracker/pysqlite

II. OTHER REQUIREMENTS

You'll need Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 and the Platform SDK for compilation.
Directions for obtaining those are at:
http://insecure.org/nmap/install/inst-windows.html#inst-win-source

You'll also need Cygwin installed in order to build the Nmap installer (not
required for normal compiling).  You'll find it at http://www.cygwin.com

And last, you'll need the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System installed.  You
can download if from http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download

III. BUILDING

With all of the requirements and dependencies installed, open up a Cygwin
shell and go to the mswin32 directory in the Nmap directory and type "make".
This may take several minutes, and will create an executable installer and a
zip archive (nmap-<version>-setup.exe and nmap-<version>-win32.zip).

IV. PYTHON INSTALLATIONS / PROBLEMS

If you have Python installed to a directory other than C:\Python25, then
you need to edit the copy_win_deps.bat file under umit/utils and change
the PythonEXE line with your installed directory.

If you have Python 2.4 installed (or any version other than 2.5), then you
need to edit the same line in the copy_win_deps.bat just discussed, and
use your installed directory (e.g. C:\Python24).  I've only ever tried 2.4
and 2.5, and while they both seem to work, I can't say anything about any
other version.  And 2.5 could become required sometime, so you should try
to upgrade.

-- Kris Katterjohn 07/2007