Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature Request: find service

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:08:55 -0500

On 7/24/07, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman > wrote:

I know I can script this using other nmap commands, but it'd be nice to have this feature:

A way to ask nmap to find some specific service[s] on the target host[s].

For example, I want to find an smtp service on range 200.1.2.0/24:

nmap --find-service=smtp 200.1.2.0/24

That would run service detection on all ports on every target, and report its findings.
Of course, that could be limited to certain port groups, or -F... just a simple, stupid idea.

I know I could just use:

nmap -sV -p1- 200.1.2.0/24|grep -C5 smtp or something like that, but, well, I needed to do it fast
and cleanly today, and had no unix shell at hand.

- --
SHOW DE FUTURABANDA - Sabado 18 de Agosto 2007 (Speed King, Capital Federal)
Entradas anticipadas a traves de www.futurabanda.com.ar - Punk Rock Melodico

If you are talking about running this on Windows, you can do something
like this (which I have done):
nmap -sS -pT25 -oG - 10.1.0.0/24 | findstr open

That will give you a single line with all the information for port 25.
 If you are wanting smtp regardless of port, the single line could get
a bit unwieldy.

For example, I get this when I run it on my network's local subnet:
Host: 10.1.0.30 () [TAB] Ports: 25/open/tcp//smtp///

That gets you a quick one-line answer.  If you scan all ports and do
-V, then you would probably need to findstr for 'open' and 'smtp'.

Let me try an example on my network looking for all the ports and see
how ugly the output is.

-Jason

--
NOTICE:  This email is being sent in clear-text across the public
Internet.  Therefore, any attempts to include unenforceable legalese