Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Q4'06 Service Submissions are done!

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:43:42 +0000

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 13:15:38 -0700
doug () hcsw org wrote:
Regarding the
fake SSH on FTP banner, did you include a match?

No, I didn't include a match line on that one. I wasn't %100 sure how to
handle it. Should it be a very generic "220 SSH-.*" type match or should
we match SSH versions more specifically? Also, how would you suggest
describing this service?

"220 SSH-.*" is probably to generic for comfort.  Every time we've seen
someone set a FTP banner like this they've tried to make it look like some
version of OpenSSH.  I think something slightly less generic like this would
do:

Figuring out how to describe it is the harder part.  It probably deserves
the **BACKDOOR** label with a note about what it is.  Perhaps something
like this:

match ftp m|^220-?\s+SSH-[\d.]+-([A-Z]+)| p/FTP masquerading as $1/
i/**BACKDOOR**/

Brandon