Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Port 0 problem

From: "Andrew Lutomirski" <andy () luto us>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:42:04 -0700

On 4/2/07, David Matousek <david () matousec com> wrote:
Hi,

running "nmap -P0 -p0 -sT 1.2.3.4" on Windows machines (tested on 2000 and 2003 with Nmap 4.11
and 2000 with Nmap 4.21ALPHA4) causes some strange reports like

"Strange read error from 1.2.3.4 (10049 - 'Unknown error'): No such file or directory"

This is WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL, which sounds like correct behavior to me.
We could do better on the error message, though (we clearly have a bug
in whatever generated 'Unknown error' since this is a standard error
code).

I'm surprised this works on Linux.

If any other port is used instead of 0, it works fine, if P0 is not specified, it appears only if
the machine is alive, if -sT is not specified, it works fine.

-sS should just work.

--Andy