Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: bizarre false positive (?) in service detection

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:33:27 -0500

On 4/13/07, Brandon Enright <> wrote:
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:39:51 -0500
"DePriest, Jason R." <> wrote:

With the skype line commented out of the service-probe file, nmap is
unable to determine what is running on the port.

Nmap should provide you with a service fingerprint for submission.
This service looks pretty easy to match so go ahead and submit it.

submitted

Which is sort of strange since
----
jrdepriest@ebizsrvb:/usr/local/share/nmap$ telnet <SCANNERTARGET> 25
Trying <SCANNERTARGET>...
Connected to <SCANNERTARGET>.
Escape character is '^]'.
220  DP-6020
EHLO
250-Hello
250-DSN
250 CONNEG
MAIL TO:
501 Syntax error in parameters
RCPT FROM:
503 Need MAIL before RCPT

554 command not support

554 command not support
Connection closed by foreign host.
----
See attached for nmap's fingerprint of the port.  I'll do some packet
captures if I get time to find a pattern.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Jason

If you don't get a fingerprint it may be because we don't have a probe for
"EHLO".  Go ahead and try adding it to your service probes file like so:

Probe TCP Hello q|EHLO\r\n|
rarity 5
ports 25,587
sslports 465
totalwaitms 7500

This didn't make a difference.  With the Skype line active, it found
Skype; with the Skype line commented out, it was stumped.

But the signature for the service did have this bit added to it that
was missing without the EHLO probe:
(hello,2E,"220\x20\x20DP-6020\r\n250-Hello\r\n250-DSN\r\n250\x20CONNEG\r\n")

If you are still having trouble getting a fingerprint let us know and we'll
try to figure it out.

Brandon