Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Variety of bugs in nmap-4.20

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:33:26 -0700

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 06:42:46AM +1000, Chris Drake wrote:

Thanks for the detailed notes.  In my case, I want to test my remote
iptables logging rules as well as automate a cron job with rrd to
graph the relative speed differences (and packet losses) between ICMP,
"TCP", and UDP packets between about 40 servers - having nmap
second-guess me (wrongly) and block what I'm trying to do is somewhat
irritating!

Well, Nmap doesn't really know what you are "trying to do".  Just what
you have told it to.  As the man page states:

 "When a privileged user tries to scan targets on a local ethernet
  network, ARP requests (-PR) are used unless --send-ip was specified."

So try adding --send-ip, and Nmap will do what I think you are looking for.

Cheers,
-F