Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap/Sourcefire Collaboration

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:28:20 -0700

Hi nmap-dev!

I think this has been in the works for a while but according to this
article it looks like it has gone through:

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/05/24/224057/sourcefire-nmap-deal-to-open-vulnerability-scanning.htm

Fyodor: Is it possible that we could get a little bit more details on
this collaboration? How many sourcefire employees will be working on
NSE scripts? What are the exact conditions for the relicensing of nmap
code and/or nmap community contributed NSE scripts? I'm sure you're well
aware of the friction and problems these issues caused for Nessus and I'd
hate to see Nmap go down a similar road.

That said, I have always liked snort/sourcefire and I think it will be fun
to work with them. In fact, I even remember meeting Martin Roesch (the creator
of snort) and he was using scheme as a light-weight parsing language so
he's gotta be OK in my books! :)

Best,

Doug