Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap and One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 19:45:36 -0700

Hi Everyone.  Like many of you, I'm excited about the potential of the
One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project which plans to deliver educational
Linux-based laptop computers to children all over the World!  These
computers have pop-up antenna ears and create their own mesh network
out of the box.  Here is a picture:

http://www.laptop.org/en/img/specs_dimensions.jpg

It is obviously critical that these children have access to office
programs for their papers and spreadsheets (OpenOffice), web browsers
for learning from Wikipedia and other online references, and a
powerful port scanner for exploring their mesh network and hacking
their classmates!  This is where Nmap comes in.

Has any one here been working on these systems?  Do they come with
Nmap out of the box?  Has anyone tried running Nmap on them?  Possible
issues for Nmap on OLPC include the limited resources of the hardware
(low memory, slow CPU), drivers for the unusual devices on the system,
and their new security model.  Fortunately OLPC has a detailed
development site and offers virtual machines for simulating the OLPC
hardware:

http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/software/developers.shtml

Does anyone want to give it a try and send out a report on the status
of Nmap on OLPC?  If there are any problems, we want to find out about
them now before the systems start bulk shipments.  If Nmap works well
on the systems, maybe we can get it installed by default.  After all,
these children could be the next generation of security professionals
and open source developers!

We also need to do some testing to determine how well Nmap works on
Microsoft Windows Vista.  But OLPC compatibility is a higher
priority :).

Cheers,
-F