Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Port and Host State Reasons

From: "Eddie Bell" <ejlbell () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:44:22 +0100

The functions state_reason_init and state_reason_summary_init initialize
the state to ER_NORESPONSE, which is a reason that might plausibly be
returned after a scan. Perhaps it's better to initialize it to
ER_UNKNOWN instead, to make it more obvious if someone modifies the  > scan engine to handle another scan type but
forgets to call
setStateReason.

Good idea. I've change this

Why does the reason_id go in the XML output. The textual names seems
like they'll be more robust.

reason_id wasn't in the old patch and now I think about it I'm not
sure why I put it in this time! I've taken it out seeing as it adds at
least 13 bytes per port for very little gain.

When scanning a host that returns a response for every port (i.e., every
port is unfiltered), there's an "extrareasons" element in the XML output
with a count of 0:

        <extrareasons reason="resets" reason_id="0" count="1702"/>
        <extrareasons reason="no-responses" reason_id="33" count="0"/>

Fixed.

Maybe you should enumerate the possible values the "reason" attribute
of the "status" element can take (in the same way that the "state"
attribute can take on only certain values.

I didn't do this because there would be over 50 different types
(singular and plural) which is bit excessive. Especially considering
the DTD doesn't seem to be used that much.

In the output table, I think the REASON column should come before the
SERVICE column. The reason for this is that REASON pairs naturally with
STATE and SERVICE pairs with VERSION. This may cause problems if a
program tries to screen-scrape Nmap's output, but then those programs
are going to have trouble with an additional column anyway.

I don't know, service is probably more important then the reason. I
also am hesitant to change the order of the first three columns as
nmap has used this format for a long time....unless multiple people
think otherwise?

The updated code is available in SVN at /nmap-exp/ejlbell along with
my previous traceroute update

Thanks for testing it
 - eddie