Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Top ports and -p switch extension patchset

From: "Eddie Bell" <ejlbell () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 12:50:12 +0100

Hi Doug,

Great ideas, nmap really needs a replacement for -F. Kris and I have
been talking about it a little.

This patch, when combined with a new format nmap-services file, will
change the ports that Nmap scans with a default scan and with a fast
scan. Currently deployed scripts that rely on certain ports being scanned
might have to be changed.

Maybe keep -F and default the same for compatibility, then introduce
--top-port and --port-ratio as well. Eventually the default scan could
be migrated and we could have an argument that switches back to the
old ports if needed

Collecting meaningful data for this sort of DB (nmap-services) is hard!
I am not convinced there is such a thing as a "typical port distribution"
for hosts on today's internet. And what's more, with the pace of
technological development as it is, I'm not sure that any "typical
distribution" will stay "typical" for long.

I think a scalable way to do this is some sort of online submission.
Either autonomous or user-driven.

After each scan nmap could automatically submit port statistics to a
server (cmd-line option to disable or enable it?). Or we could print a
message after a scan has finished (only in verbose mode?) and ask the
user to submit the statistics manually.

Another thought, It would probably best to have a set limit for the
nmap-service statistics E.G. how many open ports per 100,000. Or just
record it as a probability.

Perhaps the biggest issue I see with the new default/fast scan behaviour
is that  it becomes difficult to know if a given port was scanned for when
looking at a scan's results. Was protocol XYZ included in a fast scan with
the services file shipped on some given date? It's not easy to know,
especially if we plan on doing semi-frequent updates to this DB.

Not sure about this one, at least the port range will be in the XML file.

thanks
 - eddie