Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap-4.20 hitting retrans cap and stalling

From: Peter Erickson <perickson () redlamb net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 22:11:00 -0400

I have been trying to conduct a port scan on a locally connect machine
using Nmap 4.20 and FreeBSD 6.2-Stable. Upon running the scan, I
immediately begin to receive errors stating that nmap is "Increasing
the send delay for w.x.y.z from 0 to 5 due to 11 out of 31 dropped
probes since last increase". After a few more increases I then see the
same message, but this time due to max_successful_tryno. After letting
nmap run a bit longer, I receive the following:

SYN Stealth Scan Timing: About 3.66% done; ETC: 21:46 (0:13:12 remaining)
Warning: Giving up on port early because retransmission cap hit.

And nmap hangs... or at least appears to hang. Eventually I'll receive
another timing message which usually indicates that it will take
longer than previously expect. I get this same error when running a
portscan against 127.0.0.1.

I originally thought that this was an issue with FreeBSD, but just
realized that running the same scan (nmap -A -vv -P0 w.x.y.z) using
nmap 4.11 produces a final result within 34 seconds.

I'm not 100% sure that this is a bug with nmap, but if this is a bug I
am willing to help out to solve the problem... I'm not quite sure my
programming abilities are good enough to fix this on my own, but am
willing to try with some guidance.

If this is not a bug, any assistance with solving this issue would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.