Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Traceroute output Specification

From: "Eddie Bell" <ejlbell () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:41:13 +0100

Hi,

There isn't any documentation at the moment although you can look at
nmap's dtd for a specification. Or you could look at
Traceroute::outputXMLTarget() in traceroute.cc

The best way is probably to read the man page, run a couple of traces
and then look at the XML log.

Essentially it looks like this:

<trace port="1" proto="tcp">
<hop ttl="1" rtt="9.235" ipaddr="1.2.3.4" host="insecure.org">
<hop ttl="N" ....>
</trace>

Where an empty <hop> tag means the hop timed out and an empty rtt
attribute means the hop was retrieved from the cache. There is also an
optional <error> tag which is populated if something goes wrong.

thanks
- eddie