Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature Request: --update

From: "Joshua D. Abraham" <jabra () ccs neu edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:43:01 -0500

On 19.Jan.2007 09:34AM -0600, Kris Katterjohn wrote:

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

pciutils have a similar functionality, but implemented as a separate
script. I can't help but feel that this would be much better than
adding some ftp/http/whatnot capabilities to the nmap core.

I was actually just using straight send()/recv()s. I had thought about a
script using wget (I wrote one for Packet Storm with wget and awk to
grab the latest files using their XML feeds), which I would write if I
thought my nmap_update.cc wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

I do like the idea of software that is can update itself. I am
wondering how this would work if nmap was installed with package
management. Perhaps it wouldn't apply, but I want to get thoughts
about what would happen anyway.

--
Joshua D. Abraham
Northeastern University