Nmap Development mailing list archives

Network Monitor Driver Protocol (or equivalent) for Windows 98, etc

From: "James McFadden" <jamesdpmcfadden () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:13:52 +0000

Hello.
My name is James McFadden and i am a Honours Degree student studying
computing at the Letterkenny Institute of Technology in Ireland. I have to
do a study on port scanning as part of my network security assignment. this
will involve downloading port scanning software (Nmap) from the web onto my
PC at home. the kind of computer that i have is an IBM Aptiva computer. this
computer is an 8 year old computer that i bought from my aunt 3.5 years ago
and runs on Windows 98.
i have downloaded both the latest stable release self-installer
nmap-4.20-setup.exe and the latest stable command-line zip file
nmap-4.20-win32.zip onto my PC. all i have to do now is to get one of these
installed and running on my PC. i won't bother installing and using Cygwin
on my PC. the only questions that remain are these: do i need to install
Network Monitor Driver Protocol (or equivalent) for Windows 98 on my machine
if i have to start troubleshooting? i have also downloaded INSTMSIA.EXE,
InstMsiW.exe and WinPcap (a WinPcap that will suitable for Win98) onto my
PC. How can i open the Event Viewer on a Win98 machine?
i also have two last question that needs to be answered. what is the
difference between the program nmap-4.20-setup.exe and the programs that are
contained in nmap-4.20-win32.zip (i haven't even installed the programs on
my PC never mind run them)? what version of Nmapwin do i use on a Win98 PC
and what website do i download it from?
thank you very much for your assistance.