Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Different scan results depending on whether root or unprivileged

From: "Kris Katterjohn" <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:33:37 -0600

On 1/10/07, Eddie Bell <ejlbell () gmail com> wrote:

On 10/01/07, Tim Edwards <tkedwards () fastmail com au> wrote:,
Does anyone know why these results would be different?

I'm guessing but I presume it is because unprivileged ping scan uses
connect(), so it has to establish a full connection to determine if a
host is up. Root ping scan uses raw packets and nmap assumes a host it
up if it gets any reply to its probe.

To be sure, run it with --packet-trace and you can see what is happening.

  - ejlb

But -sT is used on both scans.

-Kris