Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Visual Studios Compile question

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:19:41 -0500

kx wrote:
In nbase_winconfig.h:

/* Without these, Windows will give us all sorts of crap about using functions
   like strcpy() even if they are done safely */
#define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE 1
#define _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS 1
#pragma warning(disable: 4996)

#define _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS 1

 causes this warning:

...\nbase\nbase_winconfig.h(148) : warning C4005:
'_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS' : macro redefinition
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\crtdefs.h(332) :
see previous definition of '_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS'

Also, with _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE, you shouldn't get warning C4996

I suggest removing

#define _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS 1
#pragma warning(disable: 4996)

As they don't seem to affect anything with _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE defined.

Cheers,
  kx

P.S.  Sorry I have been away so long. Moved to a different continent.
If anyone has any Windows testing/debugging areas they would like me
to focus on, please let me know.

Hey, kx!

I added those on Feb 1 (SVN r4451) because _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE just
wasn't cutting it with MS VC++ 2005 Express.

Warnings about supposedly "insecure" functions (like strncpy!) were
flooding the little compiler/debug message console (or whatever that
little things is called)

Any ideas? :)

(I had a Windows XP machine that had the VC++ installed that I was using
to test Nmap with.  I've been going through a painfully slow move, so I
don't have that Windows machine setup to test any changes with)

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn