Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.21ALPHA2 released

From: Alan Jones <alan () ajsquared us>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:59:43 -0500

Fyodor,

When I downloaded the Win32 versions (EXE & ZIP) I found all the file
dates were 12-12-2006 or earlier.

The file size for the nmap-os-db file was smaller in the downloads then
on http://insecure.org/nmap/data/ where the files were dated March 15, 2007.

Maybe I missed something but wanted to check....

As a side question you said you would distribute this more widely if
there were not big problems....

I don't know how long it would take to catch up on the OS and other
signatures, but would it be worth it to try and catch up before release
goes very far so people don't submit stuff you already have?  At the
same time I am sure the faster you get something new out with more
signatures it will also prevent people from sending stuff you have.

Fyodor wrote:
Hello everyone.  I admit that I've been a bit lazy on new Alpha
releases lately.  After all, who needs releases when anyone can just
check out the SVN?  I suppose they still do have important value, so I
am happy to release Nmap 4.21ALPHA2.  This releases has many important
changes, including tons of new OS and service fingerprints and also
traceroute support.  Please give it a whirl and report any problems to
the list!  If I don't hear anything bad in the next couple of days,
I'll start distributing it more widely.

First, here are the goods:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.21ALPHA2.tar.bz2
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.21ALPHA2-setup.exe
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.21ALPHA2-win32.zip
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.21ALPHA2-1.src.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.21ALPHA2-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.21ALPHA2-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.21ALPHA2-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.21ALPHA2-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.21ALPHA2.tgz

And here are the changes:

o Performed a huge OS detection submission integration marathon.  More
  than 500 submissions were processed, increasing the 2nd generation
  OS DB size 65% to 381 fingerprints.  And many of the existing ones
  were improved.  We still have a bit more than 500 submissions (sent
  after January 16) to process.  Please keep those submissions coming!

o Integrated all of your Q32006 service fingerprint submissions.  The
  nmap-service-probe DB grew from 3,671 signatures representing 415
  service protocols to 3,877 signatures representing 426 services.  Big
  thanks to version detection czar Doug Hoyte for doing this.  Notable
  changes are described at http://hcsw.org/blog.pl?a=20&b=20 .

o Nmap now has traceroute support, thanks to an excellent patch by
  Eddie Bell. The new system uses Nmap data to determine which sort of
  packets are most likely to slip through the target network and
  produce useful results.  The system is well optimized for speed and
  bandwidth efficiency, and the clever output system avoids repeating
  the same initial hops for each target system.  Enable this
  functionality by specifying --traceroute.

o Nmap now has a public Subversion (SVN) source code repository.  See
  the announcement at http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2006/q4/0253.html
  and then the updated usage instructions at
  http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2006/q4/0281.html .

o Fixed a major accuracy bug in gen1 OS detection (some debugging code
  was accidentally left in).  Thanks to Richard van den Berg for finding
  the problem.

o Changed the IP protocol scan so that it sends proper IGMP headers when
  scanning that protocol.  This makes it much more likely that the host
  will respond, proving that it's "open".  [Kris]

o Improved the algorithm for classifying the TCP timestamp frequency
  for OS detection.  The new algorithm is described at
  http://insecure.org/nmap/osdetect/osdetect-methods.html#osdetect-ts .

o Fixed the way Nmap detects whether one of its data files (such as
  nmap-services) exists and has permissions which allow it to be read.

o Added a bunch of nmap-services port listings from Stephanie Wen.

o Update IANA assignment IP list for random IP (-iR) generation.
  Thanks to Kris Katterjohn for the patch.

o Fix nmap.xsl (the transform for rendering Nmap XML results as HTML)
  to fix some bugs related to OS detection output.  Thanks to Tom
  Sellers for the patch.

o Fixed a bug which prevented the --without-liblua compilation option
  from working.  Thanks to Kris Katterjohn for the patch.

o Fixed a bug which caused nmap --iflist to crash (and might have
  caused crashes in other circumstances too).  Thanks to Kris
  Katterjohn for the report and Diman Todorov for the fix.

o Applied a bunch of code cleanup patches from Kris Katterjohn.

o Some scan types were fixed when used against localhost. The UDP Scan
  doesn't find it's own port, the TCP Scan won't print a message (with -d)
  about an unexpected packet (for the same reason), and the IPProto Scan
  won't list every port as "open" when using --data-length >= 8.  [Kris]

o The IPProto Scan should be more accurate when scanning protocol 17 (UDP).
  ICMP Port Unreachables are now checked for, and UDP is listed as "open"
  if it receives one rather than "open|filtered" or "filtered".  [Kris]

o The --scanflags option now also accepts "ECE", "CWR", "ALL" and "NONE" as
  arguments.  [Kris]

o The --packet-trace option was added to NmapFE.  The Ordered Ports (-r)
  option in now available to non-root users on NmapFE as well.  [Kris]

Enjoy!
Fyodor