Nmap Development mailing list archives

Scripting NMAP -> or maybe NSE?

From: Jess <jess () thecharbneaus com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:34:34 -0500

Hello,
  Reposting this in the nmap-dev list per suggestion from Fyodor.

I wrote a perl script several years ago that would catalog all of the open
ports on our network (the network I worked on at the time).  I was perusing my
code recently, and noticed that I had originally built this to run as root.
With the newer operating systems, specifically the Linux distro's, most are
using sudo.  So I was looking through the mailing list archives at insecure.org,
and noticed that there is now a NSE.

The overall idea of this app is to run daily, and catalog all of the open ports,
then run the next day and compare the results.  Kind of like a AIDE for the
network.

So, I guess I have two questions:

1.> Is sudo safe for this?  I would like to run my scripts (I am rewriting now)
as monitor, but make a call to nmap to get port information for the current
host in the scan.  Is sudo a good method?  Any suggestions around the best way
to implement this?  It seems I have read articles/man pages saying that sudo is
not so good as it "remembers" the credentials for a given user. Thoughts?

2.> NSE.  Is this better/worse for scripting of nmap?   Pros/Cons?

Thanks Everyone!

Jess