Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Compile problems under Slax with Nmap

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 06:30:48 -0600

Brandon wrote:
If you pass the "--help" parameter to the 'configure' script, you will
notice the following line:

      --without-nmapfe    skip nmapfe X-window GUI

Good luck. :)

Rodman wrote:
Hello,

Trying to install the latest version of Nmap but seem to be having some problems.  I already have version 4.10
installed on my system but want to upgrade.  The "./configure" ends properly creating a makefile but not without
first displaying:

------------------
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... *** GTK+ header files (version 2.8.17) do not match *** library (version
2.8.19)
no
configure: WARNING:  NMAPFE WILL NOT BE BUILT -- BUT NMAP SHOULD STILL WORK
-----------------

So, ok, I won't have a graphical front end. Big deal.  So I do a "make" on it and I get this before the make file
errors out:

------------
Your system does not appear to have GTK (www.gtk.org) installed).  Thus the Nmap X Front End will not compile.  You
should still be able to use Nmap the normal way (via the text console). GUIs are for wimps anyway :)
make[1]: *** [nmapfe.o] Error 1
make[1]: (much removed content)
make: *** [nmapfe/nmapfe] Error 2
-----------

I know I have GTK+ installed.  It comes loaded in Slax and I use wireshark quite a bit and wireshark won't work
without GTK.  I know from past experience that installing a new version of GTK+ is a total pain in the ass.  So I
guess I need some help here.  What seems to be the problem?  Is there anyway to just use nmap without the frontend.
I don't mind the console.  I just want to get the darn thing upgraded to the newest version.  Can I disable the make
file from trying to build the frontend?

Thanks!

Rodman

Besides that, NmapFE is built after everything else (nbase, nsock,
Nmap), so NmapFE failing to compile shouldn't affect anything but
nmapfe. Did you actually check to see if Nmap was built and 'nmap' was
in the build directory? I used to have a problem similar to this where
nmapfe wasn't compiling right, but 'nmap' was still fine.

-Kris