Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Promiscuous mode scan

From: "Hans Nilsson" <hasse_gg () ftml net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:41:59 -1100

No replies? Anyways I looked into this a bit more. Initially I thought
that the only way you could tell different operating systems apart from
the replies was when the NIC was in promiscuous mode. But after doing
some experiments it looks like different operating systems do respond to
these kinds of packets differently even when the NIC is in normal mode.
For example:

________________________B31_______B16______B8_______Gr_______M0_______M1_______M3
Windows XP
SP2__________X_________X________0________0________0________X________0
Linux Kernel
2.6.15_____0_________0________0________0________0________X________X

X = Got ARP Reply
0 = Did not get ARP Reply
B31 = ARP destination FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FE
B16 = ARP destination FF:FF:00:00:00:00
B8  = ARP destination FF:00:00:00:00:00
Gr  = ARP destination 01:00:00:00:00:00
M0  = ARP destination 01:00:5e:00:00:00
M1  = ARP destination 01:00:5e:00:00:01
M3  = ARP destination 01:00:5e:00:00:03

Read the PDF from my previous post for more clarification:
http://www.securityfriday.com/promiscuous_detection_01.pdf

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:58:01 -1100, "Hans Nilsson" <hasse_gg () ftml net>