Nmap Development mailing list archives

XML OS fingerprint output question

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:23:51 -0600

Most of my work with Nmap is performed on the XML output.
I use perl modules and scripts to generate reports on
network changes, operating systems and ports.

While working on submitting a request for Nmap code changes
I noticed that OS fingerprints are not being added to XML
output in situations where they are printed for Normal/
ScriptKiddie/StdOut.  Based on some comments from Fyodor
I started looking in output.cc.  I see there (line 1471)
that the only time OS fingerprints are included in the XML
output is when debugging or verbose output is requested.

Shouldn't the behavior be the same across output formats?
With the way that XML is processed, as I understand it, the
presence or absence of the "osfingerprint" element should
not affect code that is not utilizing it.

That being said, I am not a C coder so any patch I submit
will probably be sub-optimal.  Depending on the feedback
on this list I will try to gen up a basic patch to change
the behavior and submit it for approval.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Tom Sellers