Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Request to add MAC Address to GREP Output

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 01:26:11 -0800

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 06:08:23PM -0600, Peter Nichols wrote:
Could someone add the MAC address to the grepable output in the code
base?

I'm afraid the grepable output format is deprecated.  Your best bet is
to use the XML output, which does include the MAC address.  The
problem with the grepable format is that it was poorly
designed/documented, isn't very extensible, and also trying to fit
everything on one line is a bit of a mess.

So unless there is a huge groundswell of support for adding a certain
item to grepable output, I'd tend to resist doing so.

I'll bet you could pipe the Nmap output to some simple xml tools on
the command line of your average modern Linux box and pick out just
the portions you want (IP address, maybe open ports, MAC address,
etc.) and print them on one line per host.  Then you get the best of
both words -- easily grepable output and just the fields you are
concerned with.

But I admit that I'm no XML expert.  Does anyone here know good
command-line tools for picking out fields from Nmap XML output?  Have
an example command-line you can show us?  xslt with a custom XSL file
would do the trick, but that may be overkill for the simple cases
where you just want (say) the IP, open TCP port numbers, and (in this
case) MAC address.

Cheers,
Fyodor