Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: vnsprintf returned -1 in log_vwrite -- bizarre. Quitting.

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:14:58 -0800

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 01:05:15PM +0100, schochow () networkers de wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday I discovered a problem with Nessus 4.20 on Windows XP Professional SP2.
While scanning several hosts behind a cisco PIX 7.x firewall I got the error "vnsprintf returned -1 in log_vwrite --
bizarre. Quitting.".
The command line at first was "nmap -sS -sV -O -PI -oN <file> <target>", due to this problem I modified those options.
I tried -sT instead of -sS, since it didn?t work either I tried scanning without OS detection, it also didn't work.
Seems the PIX did something like generic application proxing, with nessus I saw thousends of open ports per host.

Can you still reproduce the problem?  If you remove the "-oN <file>"
option, does the error go away?

Cheers,
-F