Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible error message bug in nmap-4.11 on Gentoo

From: Andreas Ericsson <ae () op5 se>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:29:23 +0200

Diman Todorov wrote:
Well, you *are* telling nmap to do a ping-scan (-sP) which doesn't use
ports, but then you specify ports as well.
This is not correct.
from the nmap man page:
<snip>
               The -sP option sends an ICMP echo request and a TCP
packet to
               port 80 by default. When executed by an unprivileged
user, a SYN
               packet is sent (using a connect() call) to port 80 on the
</snip>

IMHO -sP should respect -p

Touché. I should rtfm more carefully or, as in this case, at all :-)

I'm still not sure it makes sense though, unless you use the scan option
to control output (i.e. make hosts responding to any of the tcp-ports
given in the range show as "up", but nothing else). Oh well. I'm sure
it'll all turn out for the best.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson () op5 se