Nmap Development mailing list archives

Fwd: feature reqs

From: "Brett Cunningham" <cssniper22 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 17:01:49 -0600

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brett Cunningham <cssniper22 () gmail com>
Date: Nov 8, 2006 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: feature reqs
To: Andreas Ericsson <ae () op5 se>

nmap is in the debian apt-get repositories (apt-get install nmap). But, if
you don't like to use apt-get, you can simply find deb packages on
debian.org's website ( http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/nmap.html).

On 11/8/06, Andreas Ericsson <ae () op5 se> wrote:

joe haldon wrote:
Wouldn't it be great ...
if nmap had a 'update-nmap-fingerprints' command that could update the
fingerprint file ... And then if nmap had a significant version update
have a error advising to upgrade?  Similar to nessus-update-pluggins
and freshclam (clamav) and oinkmaster (snort) ...
Then we could be assured of bleeding edge fingerprints :-)

Should be trivial to write as a separate script/program. FTP and HTTP
aren't exactly rocket-science protocols. I'm not so sure about the
version checking though. Sometimes there are reasons for not running
bleeding edge.

Also if nmap was distributed as a .deb package.  Not that RPM's aren't
great and all.

Debian distributes nmap .deb-packages, I think.

--
Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson () op5 se