Nmap Development mailing list archives

Port scan all 65K ports...

From: Randolph Reitz <rreitz () fnal gov>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:15:21 -0500

I run a near-real-time network inventory here at Fermilab using
nmap.  Today I got greedy and started running the port scans against
all 65K ports.  I tossed the '-F' option and replaced it with '-
p0-65535'.  The nmap port scan command line I'm using is ...

nmap -sS -p0-65535 -P0 -T4 --osscan_limit --osscan_guess --
host_timeout 15m --max-retries 0 --min_parallelism 100 --
max_parallelism 500 -O -oX - <IP address>

So far, so good.  However I've noticed in the stderr log from nmap
and occasional message like ...

send_closedudp_probe: One or more of your parameters suck!

Humm, this message must come from a fun loving 'summer of code' coder.

When I use '-A' instead of '-O', I don't get this message.  I do get
an occasional fail return from nmap - likely the host timeout fired.

Any idea what this error really means?

Thanks,
Randy Reitz