Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: general scanning engine - request for comments :)

From: majek04 <nmap () forest one pl>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:24:45 +0200

Fyodor wrote:
------------------|-binary-|-udp-|-dns-|-ipv6-|-k-a-
HTTPPROXY CONNECT-|---Y----|-----|--Y--|--?---|-----
HTTPPROXY GET-----|--------|-----|--Y--|--?---|--Y--
SOCKS 4-----------|---Y----|--Y--|-----|------|-----
SOCKS 4a----------|---Y----|--Y--|--Y--|------|-----
SOCKS 5-----------|---Y----|--Y--|--Y--|--Y---|-----
FTP BOUNCE--------|--------|-----|-----|------|--Y--
classic connect()-|---Y----|--Y--|--Y--|--Y---|-----

Looks good.  I assume classic connect() is the Nmap connect scan
(-sT)?  If so, it doesn't really do "resolving dns names on the remote
site", nor does Nmap support UDP any longer using connect (though it
theoretically could).

Woops. My mistake. Now, by saying connect() I mean what nsock :)
Isn't nsock supporting udp?

Maybe it would be useful to implement connect scan through your proxy
scanning engine anyway as a simple case for testing/debugging/etc the
system.  It probably wouldn't become the default implementation of
-sT, but it would be interesting to compare the performance and timing
between the two implementations.
Probably it wouldn't become default implementation.
But when we'll implement this we could separate
our engines. With proxy engine that doesn't need root,
and with ultra_scan that needs privileges.

If you find an elegant way to handle this, go for it.  Otherwise, I
think keeping forward DNS resolution as is for now is OK.  But I can
definitely see us possibly wanting to add remote host DNS in the
future, so do try to keep that in mind.  We may want to give a privacy
warning message if the user DOESN'T specify -n.
What I would need, is doing forward dns queries in the last moment,
just before ip number is needed.

Ping probes:
     Normally nmap is doing ping probes before scanning.
     How such ping probes should look like when someone is using
     proxy/socks chaining?

Maybe they can just use -P0.  I tend to think another warning message is warranted here if they use proxy scan but
don't specify -P0.
I think by default -P0 should be assumed when doing proxy-scanning.
But maybe in future we should implement some type of '-PS' through proxy.

Service detection:
     Imagine Version Detection through TOR or other anonymous proxy.
     I think this could be really powerful tool.

Yeah.  I think we should try to isolate the proxy chaining code as
much as possible so that it can be more easily reused in ncat,
possibly version detection, etc.  Doug suggested putting the code in
Nsock.  That may make sense (especially if there are efficiency
advantages to integrating them), though isolating them in their own
files in Nmap with a reasonably generic API and as few (if any)
dependencies on Nmap stuff (like the NmapOps structure) might be a
good compromise.
Okay.

Cheers :)
Marek Majkowski