Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: general scanning engine - request for comments :)

From: Diman Todorov <diman () xover mud at>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:48:56 +0200

5)

In your mail you talked about performing service detection through
a chain of proxys. This would be extemely cool! Do you think it would
be possible to add the proxying functionality as some sort of addition
to nsock? This would be a very useful addition to nsock and could
potentially mean that a huge amount of (present and future) Nmap
functionality could be proxied.

Specifically, I'm thinking about some extra argument to

nsock_connect_tcp()

Call it, perhaps, struct nmap_chain. Ideally nsock_connect_udp()
and nsock_connect_ssl() could accept chains as well.

To me it makes sense to put this type of functionality into nsock
as a method of abstraction. I might also like to use this type of
proxy
connection in my own separate programs.

Hi,
I find all ideas quite compelling and only want to drop my 2 cents on
Nsock.
I would be quite happy if Nsock isn't changed much until it's a bit
more stable.
While Nsock provides a very handy API, Nmap is using just a part of
it. After
I wrote my Nsock wrapper for Nmap-LUA I started stumbling on bugs and
inconsistencies
with the 'documentation' in Nsock.h. While I think proxy scan is a
great thing
to add to Nsock I would say what Nsock needs some code stabilization
more than
new features ;) A bit of real Nsock documentation a la version
detection/ossscan
wouldn't hurt either...

cheers
Diman