Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: weird nmap problems

From: Jon Passki <jon.passki () hursk com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 09:13:24 -0500

On Jul 11, 2006, at 10:40 PM, Joshua Perrymon wrote:

[root@agentdev root]# nmap www. <http://www.xxx.com> xxx.com -p 80

Starting Nmap 3.95 (  <http://www.insecure.org/nmap/>
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-07-12 12:53 EST
Interesting ports on  <ftp://ftp.xxxx.com> ftp.xxxx.com (xx.xx.xx.xx):
PORT   STATE    SERVICE
80/tcp filtered http

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.368 seconds
[root@agentdev root]# nmap  <http://www.xxxxx.com> www.xxxxx.com -p
80 -P0

Starting Nmap 3.95 (  <http://www.insecure.org/nmap/>
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-07-12 12:53 EST
Interesting ports on  <ftp://ftp.xxxxxx.com> ftp.xxxxxx.com (xx.xx.
254.253):
PORT   STATE SERVICE
80/tcp open  http

It seems that the scan returns filtered with this command
    [root@agentdev root]# nmap  <http://www.xxx.com/> www.xxx.com -
p 80

But If I add the -P0 switch it comes back with an open port?????

Is this something on my network or nmap?

By default, nmap will try to discover if the host is active before
scanning, which (by default) uses the ICMP echo request / reply
method.  If the host is not discovered, nmap will consider the host
not up (and all ports on it filtered).  When you specified -P0, you
requested nmap to skip the host discovery phase and perform the TCP
connect scan (default scan type) on the port specified.  Clear as
mud, eh? ;-)  So, the results you had in all cases are expected and
nmap is performing correctly.

Thanks!

NP!

Jon