Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP XML reports unreadable in linux

From: "Brandon Enright" <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 06:43:33 -0000 (UTC)

HG wrote:
Hi!

Thanks for nmap - been using it somewhat lately (to check the security
of the sites that I'm responsible for).

One thing, I just got rid of my windows box... which seemed to be the
only way to read the XML reports NMAP 4.11 (on SUSE 10.0) creates
(using --webxml). On linux, I have tried to following browsers:
 - Opera 9.0 (and 8.xx)
 - Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.4 (and versions upto it)
 - Konqueror 3.5.3 (and earlier versions)

But it seems that the report is somehow broken as none of those show
anything (just a blank page), while the IE on windows would show and print
the report correctly.

Is there some way I could load up the report on linux? I could not
find anything useful with Google.

--
HG.

For Firefox I believe you're running into an undocumented(?) security
feature that prevents an XSL stylesheet from being loaded from a remote
server.  I can't speak for the other browsers.

Put the XSL stylesheet on the same webserver as the XML files and change
the <?xml-stylesheet href="/usr/local/share/nmap/nmap.xsl"
type="text/xsl"?> tag to point to the corret FQDN.  Also make sure that
the content-type of the XSL file is is text/xsl or text/xml.

Your XML files should be properly rendered again once you point at a local
XSL source.

Brandon