Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: About the libpcap included with nmap and WinPcap

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 15:17:06 -0700

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 09:32:54AM -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
I will go ahead and admit that I am probably confused on this matter
since I rarely use nmap on Windows, but here it goes anyway.

Since WinPcap is required for nmap on Windows, couldn't the
libpcap/Win32 and libpcap/msdos directories be deleted from the included
libpcap to reduce the nmap source distros? Those directories look to
take up about 300kb together.

Good idea.  Changing the distribution tarballs makes upgrading a bit
of a pain (you need to repeat this each time), but I think it is worth
it in this case.  It reduces the .tar.bz2 size by about 50K (about
4%).  I've done this for the next version.

Cheers,
-F