Nmap Development mailing list archives

Problem running nmap

From: "DIGANTA DE." <cliffhangerdiganta () yahoo co in>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:23:42 +0100 (BST)

Hi,
    I am having problem running nmap (4.11 Win). I run it over WinXP SP2 and after running it I see the following
error::

D:\Program Files\Nmap>nmap  -sP www.hackology.com

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2006-09-30 18:46 India St
andard Time
pcap_open_live(ppp0, 104, 0, 20) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening adapter:
The system cannot find the device specified. (20).  Will wait 5 seconds then ret
ry.
pcap_open_live(ppp0, 104, 0, 20) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening adapter:
The system cannot find the device specified. (20).  Will wait 25 seconds then re
try.
Call to pcap_open_live(ppp0, 104, 0, 20) failed three times. Reported error: Err
or opening adapter: The system cannot find the device specified. (20)
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating system:

LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe af_packet or r
ecompile your kernel with SOCK_PACKET enabled.
*BSD:  If you are getting device not configured, you need to recompile your kern
el with Berkeley Packet Filter support.  If you are getting No such file or dire
ctory, try creating the device (eg cd /dev; MAKEDEV <device>; or use mknod).
SOLARIS:  If you are trying to scan localhost and getting '/dev/lo0: No such fil
e or directory', complain to Sun.  I don't think Solaris can support advanced lo
calhost scans.  You can probably use "-P0 -sT localhost" though.

QUITTING!

D:\Program Files\Nmap>

                                        Please send me the solution so that I can use nmap properly.

Thanks & Regards
  Diganta De