Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap for windows eth0 failure

From: "John Whorton" <john () newamericangroove com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:22:38 -0400

Firstly, let me say thanks to Fyodor for nmap!  What an amazing and useful
tool.

Second, I don't know if anyone has already contacted you about the bug for
windows that says "dnet: unable to open device eth0 QUITTING!", but I found
a workaround. I'm not much of a coder, so I can't delve that deeply into it,
but it seems to have a problem with my wireless network card receiving an
address before my ethernet card does.  So, my workaround is . . .

1.  Disable wireless card.

2.  Plug in ethernet cable.

3.  Allow ethernet NIC to receive IP address.

4.  Unplug ethernet cable.

5.  Enable wireless card.

6.  Run nmap for windows.

Like I stated before, I am not much of a programmer, so I'm not sure why
that works exactly, but apparently nmap needs my ethernet card to receive an
address prior to my wireless card.

My apologies if I am sending redundant information, but I couldn't find this
fix anywhere online myself.  Please make use of it what you will.  And, many
thanks once again for a great program!

Sincerely,

John Whorton