Nmap Development mailing list archives

Windows execution problem

From: eric cartman <panefsky () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 05:30:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hello to all,

  I recently downloaded nmap 4.11 to run under Windows.
  I used the Installer (exe file) and nmap was installed.

  I am trying to use it and I get this message:

  C:\A\bin\Nmap\nmap www.insecure.org

  ################# ERROR MESSAGE #########################
  Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2006-09-25 15:23 GTB Daylight Time
pcap_open_live(ppp0, 104, 0, 20) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening adapter: The system cannot f
ind the device specified. (20).  Will wait 5 seconds then retry.
pcap_open_live(ppp0, 104, 0, 20) FAILED. Reported error: Error opening adapter: The system cannot f
ind the device specified. (20).  Will wait 25 seconds then retry.
Call to pcap_open_live(ppp0, 104, 0, 20) failed three times. Reported error: Error opening adapter:
 The system cannot find the device specified. (20)
There are several possible reasons for this, depending on your operating system:
LINUX: If you are getting Socket type not supported, try modprobe af_packet or recompile your kerne
l with SOCK_PACKET enabled.
*BSD:  If you are getting device not configured, you need to recompile your kernel with Berkeley Pa
cket Filter support.  If you are getting No such file or directory, try creating the device (eg cd
/dev; MAKEDEV <device>; or use mknod).
SOLARIS:  If you are trying to scan localhost and getting '/dev/lo0: No such file or directory', co
mplain to Sun.  I don't think Solaris can support advanced localhost scans.  You can probably use "
-P0 -sT localhost" though.

  I am using Windows XP SP2 and a dialup connection  and I wonder if this is the case that nmap doesn't support
(actually Windows and raw socket access)

  Thank you for your time,

  tpa