Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap help

From: "Jennifer Chan" <jennifer.chan () shiftnetworks com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:37:34 -0600

Hi,

My name is Jennifer and I am part of the network support team.

I am very new to your tool, but I see that it would be of great help to the
team.

I am trying to use nmap so that I can discover our entire network right now.
I have been using the router IPs as well as the WAN IPs of each terminating
device.

"# nmap -sL -P0 172.16.10.113 172.16.10.105

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-09-08 15:46 MDT

Host 172.16.10.113 not scanned

Host 172.16.10.105 not scanned

Nmap finished: 2 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 13.008 seconds"

I can telnet to these routers IP just fine, but I can't seem to get the nmap
to scan these routers. I am running nmap from our firewall, so nothing
should be blocking it.

I was also told that nmap can be used to discover new and interesting
devices that are connected to our network. How do you do that without
providing any IPs to it?

Thank you in advance for all your help

Jennifer

Network Support Analyst