Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: broken scan stats

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 02:34:13 -0700

Hi Diman,

Good discovery. The problem is that nmap_dns reports 0% complete to the
printStats() function when, well, the scan is 0% complete. This function
does some fancy extrapolation but unfortunatley doesn't seem to handle
0% complete scans properly. I imagine this wasn't noticed for a long time
because people don't usually use the run-time interaction feature until
they start to become impatient with their - hopefully past 0% - scans. :)

This bug probably affects all parts of nmap that use run-time interaction
and isn't at all related to the mass DNS code.

I'm attaching a patch that prints out the following message if the scan
is < 1% complete:

System DNS resolution Timing: About 0.20% done; ETC: ??:?? (??:??:?? remaining)

I figure 1% is a good threshold. If we're less than 1% done we shouldn't
have very good scan estimates anyways. This threshold can, of course, be
changed.

Also, I bundled in a tiny change to nmap_dns.cc in the patch:

-  SPM = new ScanProgressMeter("System DNS resolution");
+  SPM = new ScanProgressMeter("Parallel DNS resolution");

It should only be called "System DNS" when we're using --system-dns. This
has annoyed me for a while but I kept forgetting about it.

Thanks for the report Diman!

Doug