Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: New OS Detection?

From: "赵雷" <zhaolei () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:40:54 +0800

I was just curious how the new OS detection code was coming along...
Code? Improvements in detection? Speed? Database signatures, etc......

We are still improving it. Because a new OS detection system means a
new fingerprint db. We must be very careful to define the tests and
the format of the fingerprint. We don't want to change format of the
fingerprint after massive fingerprint submissions come. This really
needs a while. For example, there are new detecting methods are
discovered and discussed in these days, and it needs some time for us
to settle down the testing method and the format of the fingerprint.

We expect that all these efforts could lead to a good result :)

It is an area we are all interested in....

I'm glad to hear this~~~~ And thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
Zhao Lei