Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap grepable output format

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:31:27 -0700

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 12:30:00AM +0300, Ofer Shaked wrote:
The manual says that this output format is deprecated.
Does it mean that one day I'll compile my brand new Nmap version,
try to run a scan with -oG and get an output message like this: "nmap:
unrecognized option `-oG'"?

Not any time soon.  The deprecation mostly just means that new Nmap
features usually aren't added to grepable output (which was a quick
hack that isn't very extensible).  For example, the new scripting
engine probably won't have a way to use this output format.  Instead
it will output results in interactive, normal, and XML formats.  Oh,
and sCr1pT |<idDi3 format.

By the way, sorry for the newbish-looking question - I really like Nmap,
but only in the last couple of days I found out about this wonderful
list. :)

Thanks, I'm glad you find Nmap useful!

Cheers,
-F